Visitor Center - Sugar Mill
- ;Built in Salt Lake City, Utah 1855
- ;Replicated in 1996
The Sugar Mill was built on 11th East and 21st South, a district now fondly known as Sugar House. Ground was broken in 1853 for its construction, and it was completed in 1855. The intent was to produce sugar from locally grown beets, but for a variety of reasons the enterprise failed and beets were no longer processed here after 1856. The Mormon leaders did not give up, however, and after further research they constructed a new, successful beet sugar mill in Lehi. This particular building found later use as a paper mill, woolen factory, bucket works, and machine shop for Utah Central Railroad.