Smoot Hall at Brigham Young Academy
- Built in Provo, Utah 1884
- Replicated in 2004
In 1875, Brigham Young established the Brigham Young Academy with Abraham O. Smoot as president of the Board of Trustees. The first class of 1876 consisted of just 70 students and was housed in a building known as Lewis Hall. Young encouraged both men and women to attend the Academy, learning a broad curriculum from sciences, humanities, physical fitness, and even vocational studies. The demand for Brigham Young Academy soon outgrew the space, and five more rooms were added on. Unfortunately, in 1884 a fire burned down Lewis Hall. At his own expense, Smoot built a new two-story facility for the Academy. In 1903, the Brigham Young Academy became Brigham Young University. This building is a replica of Lewis Hall.