Deseret Hospital and Quilt Museum
- Built in Salt Lake City, Utah 1884
- Replicated in 2003
Medical care in early Utah was primitive, so Brigham Young sent a number of women to medical schools in the East. The LDS Church opened the first official Deseret Hospital in 1882, under the direction of the women's Relief Society. In 1884, the hospital moved to a building with fifty beds, previously occupied by the Deseret University, now the University of Utah. The hospital functioned until the 1890's as a benevolent and not a charitable institution. A week's services cost $3 to $6.